Crock Pot Applesauce

Crock Pot Applesauce



12 medium sized apples
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)

1.  Cut the apples into large chunks.*
2.  Dump everything into the crock pot.
3.  Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
4.  Mash everything up with a fork.  
5.  Enjoy hot or wait until it cools off.

-----------------
*I peeled my apples but you can leave the skin on, it should all dissolve in the cooking process.  I used a veggie peeler which helped reduce waste.

Applesauce is one of my favorite things.  In college I would eat a large jar of chunky style applesauce every week.  I made it once before but it was a lot of babysitting the pot as I made sure the water didn't run low and scorch the apples.  This way was SUPER easy.  You just dump everything and as they used to say "set it and forget it."  My house smelled AMAZING while it was cooking.  It doesn't matter what apples you use (I used some slightly sour, rather mealy yellow apples).  My husband doesn't like cinnamon (he says "why do you Americans put cinnamon in all your sweets??") so I omitted it from my batch and it still tasted amazing.  

I have good memories from when I was a little girl of helping my grandma core and peel bushels and bushels of apples.  She had a cool machine that took the peels off in long ribbons.  The house would smell great as she cooked up the applesauce and then can it to be used for later.

Comments

Popular Posts